Monday, September 14, 2009

Bali Bliss and Sweetheart Fries

It looks so cool with the lights on, but just as pretty during the day. Yesterday was my second trip to the Veggie Grill in El Segundo. What made it doubly nice is that after we had spent two hours laughing at Laurel and Hardy movies at Old Town Music Hall, my friends Wayne and Larry treated me!


I won't review the restaurant again but I will talk about what I had, and it certainly lived up to its name: Bali Bliss. Out of curiosity I asked for the gluten free menu which is available upon request. I had already been eyeing that choice on the regular menu when I found it was listed as a gluten free option as well, on a bed of kale instead of a wheat bun. I decided to try it; I eat way too much wheat hence carbs.


Bali Bliss is a wonderful Indonesian "sandwich" or protein style entree, composed of a generous portion of blackened tempeh. It's garnished with a dab of a some delicious relish and the kale underneath my portion yesterday was bright green and steamed just right, not too soft and not raw. I got to choose from a list of sides, and I chose the sweetheart fries, which, as you might guess are sweet potato fries sprinkled very lightly with what looked like a raw brown sugar. (It wasn't regular brown sugar because the crystals were too large.) The Bali Bliss is served with a side of vegan chipotle mayo (vcm), and to tell you the truth, that's what forced my decision on what to order. I adore chipotle anything.


The tempeh was blackened just right and the vcm rounded the taste perfectly. Having a leaf or two of kale to cushion each bite gave it a light, clean and healthy taste.


I ordered the sweetheart fries for two reasons. One was because I love sweet potato fries and wanted to try the Veggie Grill version. My other motive was that since there was no bun on my gluten free choice, and I was really, really hungry, I thought the fries would fill me up better than the red cabbage cole slaw. I was right; I got so full that I had to take some of it home...but not before caving in to the yen to try the gluten free dessert option: chocolate pudding for only $1.95 a serving. (This also went home with me after a couple of yummy bites.) :)


My friend Wayne got the chop chop salad that he got last time, and he loved it once again. Prep is consistent. :) Larry decided to try the "carne" asada sandwich. It was really a hit with him...after he got used to the "heat" factor. It is very spicy...and delicious. I resisted a big temptation to get it again, because wanted to have something different to tell you about tonight.


Prices I discussed in my original review of the Grill, but I will say that the Bali Bliss is $2.00 less than the "carne" asada.


As full as the boys were, they both took a taste of the velvety chocolate pudding and we all agreed that it was very tasty. It was light, creamy and had a very rich chocolate flavor. Wayne and Larry were amazed that it had no milk, cream or eggs in it. I think I know what the recipe is, but I won't tell. I want you to go try it if you live near a Veggie Grill!

Wayne and Larry love the Veggie Grill and they are meat eaters much of the time. This proves that everyone can eat a plant-based meal and thoroughly enjoy it. Larry was all jazzed about it and made notes on the take-out menu so he'd remember what was spicy, what he liked and what he has tried. These guys are quickly becoming my experimenting partners in veggie dining. I've invited them to the Zephyr in Long Beach next weekend.


Check out http://www.veggiegrill.com/. On the site are the locations and a downloadable menu.

I hope you had a Meatless Monday! If not, there's next week!

Peace, Love and Compassionate Eating,
Bev

No comments:

Post a Comment