Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Hollandaise Daze

Leftovers

Raw corn chowder is better the first day. On the second day, especially after a full day of school, auditions and introductions to the parents of all the students, one wants a flavorful bite before going to bed. The leftover soup didn't fit that bill. What I will do when I have the energy is add more perks to it on the second day: salsa, more lime etc. Fresh, the stuff is fantastic!

Looked through Julia's book of the dead tonight, and I have a sudden hankering to try a vegan version of hollandaise sauce. I wonder how one would sub egg yolks and butter! Must be a way that is just as tasty.

I fully believe that Julia, along with the majority of the population, was and is addicted to the animal taste in butter and eggs. Nothing quite takes their place in the minds and on the taste buds of carnivores and gourmet vegetarians. I'm going to see what I can come up with to make a kinder, gentler, but equally tasty hollandaise to go with the asparagus.

Note on the asparagus: Julia recommends peeling it up to the tip. I won't do that, because Julia was probably still thinking of, or aware of, the fact that the vitamins and nutrients are often in the skins of veggies. This is why you won't see me peeling any veggies, only washing and slightly scrubbing them.

I hope you had a wonderful day! The bright news on the school front is that I got apologies from three of four students who wanted to play top dog with me yesterday, and the one who did not apologize, at least acted decent and was cooperative.

Romeo and Juliet are going to be played East L.A. The Shakespearean language will remain in tact, however, and I plan to prepare a lot of snacks for the cast during rehearsal season.

Help me think of something fun and healthy. They get enough sugar, hfcs and preservatives.

Tomorrow we reflect on a Cosby Show episode dealing with healthy food.

Peace and Joy,
Bev

No comments:

Post a Comment