Tuesday, September 1, 2009

In the Raw!

Tonight was the night. Spurred on my my roommates, I made the raw corn chowder tonight, after grading two sets of papers for some ungrateful seniors...who are about to see what it's like to tangle with the queen bee.

It was the easiest soup anyone could make: no messy fat, no animal renderings, no boiling and waiting to add such and such. It was pure unadulterated (well, not organic, exactly) raw soup with raw ingredients:

2 1/2 cobs of fresh corn which I shucked happily on the back porch over a newspaper provided by Dori, who also helped me choose a knife and showed me how to trim the corn closely. (Thanks, Dori.)

1/2 medium avocado instead of the small whole one called for (Mine wasn't ripe enough yet.)

1 1/4 cups of multi grain milk from Trader Joe's :)

I made half the original amount of the recipe. just to make sure we would all like it. :)

Following the instructions for blending, I added the extra handful of corn that I was told to set aside. I threw in some sea salt to taste, and voila, raw corn chowder of a light whipped cream green filled the blender. (No I don't have pictures of it because I can't find the USB cord to upload pictures from my phone yet.)

Did I like it? Yes! It was so fresh and clean tasting, not all heavy and greasy and salty like a lot of soups. It was sweet with a touch of savory...and then my roommates came and decided it needed more.

So we threw in some basil (about 10 leaves). Good addition.
More salt and some pepper. Good too.
Finally, the juice of most of a freshly squeezed lime. Gave it a zing.

The final product was great. Most people would be like Dori and Dianne, wanting the added zip. I liked it either way.

My recommendation? Try it! The only thing I'm not sure of is the nutritional value, but hey, it's a far cry from artery slammin' bacon! :)

Now I set my sights on asparagus, rosemary potatoes, the mandatory parent meeting tomorrow night and thinning the obnoxious seniors from the herd of willing learners in my journalism class....some who think Edward R. Murrow's exposure of McCarthy tactics have no meaning for them today.



Good night and good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment