Thursday, September 10, 2009

Dori's Surprise: Sesame Carrots...What's Up, Doc?

And while we're on the subject of wonderful , healthful orange root veggies, I must tell you about the insanely good carrot dish Dori made on the spur of the moment last night. (I'll tell you about tonight's pizza tomorrow.)

While I was standing at the counter throwing my salad together yesterday afternoon, Dori came into the kitchen, which is basically where she would sleep and get up in the morning if she could, and pulled some carrots from the refrigerator. For a couple of seconds she wondered how she could fix them, and I monotonously listed: slice, steam, mash, saute. She replied, "Ah ha! I'll sesame them!" And she did.

I glanced over my shoulder a bit later, and she had chopped and placed them in a deep skillet of sorts and had them barely covered with sizzling water. I finished making my salad and was enjoying it in the living room in front of the television when wonderful smells began to float all around me. It was a sweet, nutty, almost autumnal scent, and in no time at all, the sesame carrots were ready. I put some on the plate beside my salad and talk about gorgeous! These wonderful orange rounds with a light brown sauce and little tiny white sesame seeds made the green on my plate look even greener.

How did she do it? I asked. It was simple: carrots, sesame oil, sesame seeds and a tad of sugar. She would have used brown but we didn't have any. The carrots were wonderful anyway: sweet but not too sweet, crunchy but not raw and certainly not soft. The flavor of the sesame was just magnificent and it complemented the natural sweetness of the carrots. It was such a simple dish and it took Dori no time to perfect.

I would ask her the amounts, but you could probably whip these up using your eyeballing technique to measure just like she did. I strongly recommend trying to make these delicious tidbits. They were good enough to be dessert!

Have a peaceful and gentle day. Take time to think about what you're eating and enjoy the taste!

Bev

No comments:

Post a Comment