Saturday, August 22, 2009

Vegan Lemon Butter for Julie and Julia

Yesterday was the day to attempt the vegan dipping sauce for artichokes! I followed Julia's non-vegan recipe from my last post, but I used olive oil with a pinch of garlic in place of the butter.

It turned out very well. One challenge was that I didn't have quite enough lemon to fill the 1/4 cup, so I topped it off with fresh lime juice. It was good, but not the authentic taste of the pure lemon "butter".

BIG TIP: It's important not to let the lemon juice boil down to less than a tablespoon before adding the oil. I accidentally did that yesterday and it was SO POTENT that it nearly shriveled the entire lower portion of my face. Good flavor though! :) It's really important to keep an eye on the lemon juice as it's boiling down; I'm sure that is what made it so much stronger than before.

My Taurus cook/foodie/roomie, Dori suggested that this vegan sauce would be great for asparagus, so that is what I'm going to try later today. If I get ambitious, I'll try another of Julia's sauces also.

Asparagus is one of my very favorite veggies, so I'm really looking forward to it. Julia has a lot of suggestions for picking out the right bundle. There's nothing a whole lot sadder than biting into a beautiful piece of asparagus and getting a mouthful of tree bark instead.

Humor note: Notice how "adsense" chose to put A1 Steak Sauce under this blog! HA! "Sing for your beef"? :) What else could we sing for instead? Send me your ideas! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment